Nottingham Forest v Brentford - Premier League - City Ground The Premier League Nike Flight winter ball during the Premier League match at the City Ground, Nottingham. Picture date: Saturday November 5, 2022. EDITORIAL USE ONLY No use with unauthorised audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or live services. Online in-match use limited to 120 images, no video emulation. No use in betting, games or single club/league/player publications. PUBLICATIONxNOTxINxUKxIRL Copyright: xJohnxWaltonx 69646924

The history of soccer is full of epic matches, with great comebacks, impossible goals and goals in stoppage time that changed the history of a sport that moves passions, which ranks among the most watched in the world, thanks to the ease provided by current trends in sports streaming. Among the teams that have been able to star in this type of epic in which the one who is behind ends up getting the victory, are the residents of Anfield. Here are five incredible Liverpool moments.

Manchester United – Liverpool in the FA Cup Finals

Twice Manchester United and Liverpool have met in the FA Cup Final in the course of their history. The first was in 1977, coinciding with one of Liverpool’s most glorious periods under Bob Paisley and, before that, with Bill Shankly in the dugout. For their part, the Red Devils were not going through their best years, with a relegation to League Division Two in 1974. On that occasion, the Merseyside side’s good form was not enough to beat the enemy at Wembley and United won the FA Cup thanks to goals from Pearson and Greenhoff, in a match that ended 2-1 in favor of the players coached by Tommy Docherty.

The other FA Cup final between the two giants of English soccer also went to Manchester United, with Sir Alex Ferguson at the helm. The 79,000 spectators at Wembley Stadium on May 11, 1996, will remember that match for Eric Cantona’s solitary goal from the edge of the box that gave the Red Devils their ninth FA Cup for Old Trafford.

Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3

This match took place on April 3, 1996 and started positively for the Reds. Within two minutes they were already in the lead, thanks to a lethal cross from Jamie Redknapp, Robbie Fowler was able to finish comfortably. It took just eight minutes for the score to be level. In a move that originated from a throw-in, Leslie Ferdinand finished the ball into the net almost from the penalty spot. Four minutes later, Newcastle scored again through Frenchman David Ginola. The game was full of plays for both teams until the first half ended with the score 2-1 in favor of Newcastle.

With the start of the second half, the Reds’ hopes returned. Robbie Fowler got back on the scoreboard in the 55th minute. But the joy was short-lived, as just two minutes later Newcastle found themselves back on top thanks to a great pass from Colombian Faustino Asprilla, who left Robert Lee practically alone, who scored with a great coolness.

It seemed that the advantage was not going to stay on Liverpool’s side. However, the pressure from the Reds did not let up, which ended up paying off for them. A pinpoint cross from McAteer was finished off by Collymore, who managed to pierce Pavel Srníček’s goal and level the scores. It was the 68th minute. In the closing stages of the match, it was precisely Collymore who gave his team the victory, scoring in the 92nd, thanks to a pass from John Barnes. Anfield went crazy. With good reason.

Liverpool 3 AC Milan 3

One of the greatest matches in history is the 2004-05 Champions League final between Liverpool and Milan in Istanbul. This match had everything and that is why May 25, 2005 is a day marked with golden letters in the history of the ‘reds’.

Liverpool had already staged a major comeback in the same tournament, but this stage was even more imposing: The Champions League Final. Before the clock had struck the first minute, Paolo Maldini gave the Italians the lead (including a cross from Pirlo).

Although the Reds managed to generate a couple more moves, Ancelotti’s Milan were on top of them and by the 39th minute the Italians’ second goal came from Hernán Crespo. He himself would be in charge of scoring the third goal of the match, thanks to a filtered pass from Kaká, which practically sealed the match. It was barely the first half.

Not even the most optimistic Liverpool fan could think of a comeback. But it came in just six minutes, from the 9th to the 15th of the second half. Gerrard, Smicer and Xabi Alonso, who scored from the rebound of a penalty he himself had missed, worked the miracle. The 3-3 scoreline remained unchanged and it went to penalties. The hero of the shootout was Polish goalkeeper Jerzy Dudek, who saved Pirlo’s spot-kick and Shevchenko’s decisive spot-kick. Twenty-one years later, Liverpool reigned in Europe for the fifth time.

Liverpool 3-3 West Ham

The FA Cup final held at the Millennium Stadium was the showcase for this epic comeback. On May 13, 2006, the Anfielders scored the first goal, through Carragher, who in the 21st minute sent the ball into the back of the net… his own. Scaloni’s cross from close range ended up bouncing off his feet and opened the scoring against the Reds. Just seven minutes later, a poorly controlled shot by goalkeeper Pepe Reina allowed Ashton to put West Ham ahead.

Liverpool’s players were in a desperate situation and they were unlucky on the day. They had a goal disallowed and could not seem to find a way to break the deadlock, when an exquisite cross from Gerrard ended in a goal, courtesy of a great volley from Cisse. It was the 32nd minute. By the 54th minute, a poorly deflected ball in the West Ham box turned into a chance that Gerrard did not miss. 2-2. In the 64th minute, Konchesky scored again for the Hammers, who were again ahead. As the match was winding down (91st minute), a rejected ball in three-quarters of the pitch was fiercely struck by Gerrard, giving the equalizer. The rest would be history: a penalty shootout where Liverpool won that year’s FA Cup.

Liverpool 4 Barcelona 0

Champions League 2018-2019 semifinals. Lionel Messi’s Barcelona managed to win the first leg with a score of 3-0. The second leg was only a formality. However, things began to get complicated for the Culés as soon as they stepped on Anfield. Seven minutes were enough for Liverpool to take the lead, courtesy of Divock Origi. There were chances for both sides for the rest of the first half, but neither side was able to convert.

For the second half Barcelona found themselves up against a side with a knife between their teeth. In the 46th minute, Andrew Robertson came off due to physical discomfort and was replaced by Georginio Wijnaldum, who only needed two minutes to score a brace that brought Liverpool back into the match. When the match was nearing its end, an oversight by the entire Barcelona defense allowed the Reds to take a comfortable corner kick: Trent Alexander-Arnold sent a low cross practically to Origi’s foot. Ter Stegen could do nothing. 4-0 was the final score. Liverpool could taste the final.